Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Christmas tickers

Sunday, January 3, 2010

This has to start somewhere, what better time than now

Well, being that I have never blogged before, I'm not really sure where to start. I just wanted a place to write down things from my daily life and to help me get better perspective on my life, work, love life, family, and such. I previously wrote a year in review for 2009 so I thought I would just write something a few days a week this year instead of trying to remember everything and how I felt about it after 12 whole months. That being said, this is the beginning of my new year and new blog.

2009 was named "The Year of Relationships and Education". That was due to being in a pretty cruddy relationship in '08 and decided I was going to stay single for a very long time. I did for quite some time, but I wasn't planning on meeting Ryan. That was all it took! I met him and we have been together ever since. I knew almost instantly he was the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with. The education part was more stressful than anything. I was finishing up my last year of graduate school. I had endless papers to write and one humongous 8 hour, all essay, comprehensive exam to take. Most people don't pass it the first time around and you only get two shots. I studied until my brain hurt for days on end, but I passed my first time. I couldn't believe it. So, I graduated with a Master's of Science in Criminal Justice with a emphasis in Juvenile Justice. It was one of the best days of my life.

2010 is being coined "The Year of the Career". I have worked in a juvenile boys home for almost three years now. I really love what I do and love the challenge, but the hours are ridiculous and the pay is even worse. I don't even make 30k a year and I drive 1.5 hours a day at a minimum. I work weekends and holidays, not to mention the fact that I can work up to four different shifts in one week. The ups of the job are seriously outweighed by the downs. So now that I've finished school and will have hefty student loan payments starting this summer, it's time for me to find a new job. I know I want to continue on working with delinquent juveniles and I must have something closer to home. I can't relocate because Ryan is stationed here for the next 13 years. I have found a few leads such as a Federal Probation & Pretrial Service officer, a probation & parole officer, and a behavioral therapist aide. I am applying for all three positions and now I have some excellent references and a letter of recommendation. Hopefully something will work out soon. I have Ryan and I being on different shifts and being gone from home so much on weekends. The hardest part for me is being gone from my family on holidays. I don't have to do this job anymore so I'm not going to. I'll be patient, but I would really like to be in a new position before the summer rolls around. Ok, well enough about the job hunt.

I am also working on learning to cook better. My crock pot is becoming my best friend! It lets me make Ryan dinner when I actually can't be home with him due to my 4-12 work schedule this week. I just put in garlic chicken with onions, mushroom soup, white wine, salt, and pepper. The house already smells amazing. This way we both get a good meal, but it won't be together. Ah, corrections jobs and military jobs in one relationship prove difficult!

Well, it's time for me to get the laundry changed over and catch some sleep. Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment